Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A sick day & a few things I learned from it....

Today is a sick day at our house. My poor little Jack is sick for the first time ever and I am was not handling it well. It's hard to watch your little one hurt and not know how to fix it. Now I know every mother I've ever known has felt that way but I really didn't know what to do. Maybe we all just struggle through it and come out O.K. in the end. 

The situation was made so much worst by me trying to stop nursing him at the same time. I didn't know that he was getting sick or else I NEVER would have tried it. So the last 24 hours have been really hard and super emotional for both of us. Long story and I won't get into too many details because breastfeeding is so personal to every person but  breastfeeding has been going a little rough for the last three weeks so I decided to stop (after lots of questions, tears, guilt, and stress!). Well, it wasn't time. It didn't work for me or him. Neither one of us are ready. So I nursed him this morning and the world felt right again :)

He seems to be feeling better which just makes my little momma heart happy!
The cupcakes we ate may have helped ;)


So what I've learned today...
1.Cupcakes make everyone feel better
2. Frosting needs a cupcake as an anchor.
3. I need to trust myself. Trust my instincts. Trust in my love for Jackson to guide me. My mom told me last week that I need to stop trying to be validated as a mother. That no one in the world knows Jackson as well as I do. She was so right. 


4. You can save a "lost" day. When we both woke up sick and I spent the morning crying over the whole nursing thing I thought, "this day is lost!". But I thought maybe we could save it. It was only 11 and  maybe just maybe we could breath new life back into the next 7 hours. So I lit a candle (someone told me it's a poor man's fire :), took a shower, put on makeup, we both got dressed in our jammies, Jackson watched his first Disney movie today, (yay for Tangled), and we built a blanket fort. All before 1:30. 
This day is not lost, I will fight for it. I will go looking for the wonder, and the beauty, and the memories, and I will find them.

5. It's ok for my house to be messy. Yep, I just said that :) 

This is our blanket fort. Isn't it lovely? I think it'll have to stay for awhile. 





No comments:

Post a Comment